It’s been about 6 months since my last post, but I wanted to update everyone on my life and the GameCube project. I spent a lot of this time getting moved into a new house (yay, being a home owner!) and getting caught up on life. I also spent quite a bit of time working on my projects, so there is no more time to waste!
After a few tries, I was able to design 3D pieces to my liking that should make a GameCube media center much cleaner and easy. For those of you who haven’t dissected a GameCube, there are two main areas of concern: the front and the back.
In the front my vision was to replace the current controller ports with USB ports, allowing the user to have 4 readily available ports for things like USB controllers (for whatever system they are emulating) and FLIRC (because it makes having a media center awesome). Since the ports in front are part of the overall design, it doesn’t look tacky – like it would for, say, an ATARI 2600.
On the back I also wanted to retain as much of the original plating as possible, to reduce time, energy, and destruction to the original frame. The piece I designed holds a USB Micro (Female to Male) Cable and an HDMI (also Female to Male) Cable in place, filling up the original two video-in ports. I received this today and it works really well!
I don’t have any pictures, but I believe the last thing I have to figure out is how to get the original LED to light up. Then with a little touch-up paint and a B-quality photo shoot (seriously, I need a new camera!) my Zelda-inspired GameCube should be good to go!
Will update this post soon with pictures!